There’s nothing a margarita can’t fix!
Cinco de Mayo, Spanish for “fifth of May”, is a celebration held every year on May 5. The date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.
This celebration is all about the margaritas for me. It’s hands down my favorite adult beverage. I love a clean margarita on the rocks with no salt or sugar on the rim. I’m not a fan of frozen or flavored margaritas. This preference changed slightly when I traveled to Washington D.C. last month. I ate at a tapas bar that served champagne margaritas…totally to die for. It caught me off guard and I was very surprised at the crispness of the drink. I had to add this option to the list!
Margaritas are very refreshing and while they are an all year round drink, they taste even more delicious in the spring and summer months. Not sure why. Let’s chalk it up to science! To get ready for Cinco de Mayo, below are some margarita options to take your home partying up a notch. As always, be responsible and never drink and drive.
- 9 oz. Blanco tequila
- 3 oz. Brandy
- 1 6 oz. can frozen limeade concentrate
- 6 oz. water (use limeade can)
- 3 1/2 oz Orange Liqueur
Strawberry Basil Margarita
- 8 Medium strawberries
- 6 Basil leaves
- 1 oz simple syrup (make using 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water – heat until sugar has dissolved and then cool. Refrigerate leftovers)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 oz Reposado tequila
- 1 oz orange liqueur
- Additional strawberries, lime slices and basil leaves for garnish
This is a must try! You won’t be disappointed. Promise!
- Kosher salt (for serving)
- ½ thick lime wheel (for serving)
- 2 ounces tequila blanco
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- ¾ ounce simple syrup
- Top with a splash of champagne
Spicy Matcha Margarita
- 3 ounces unsweetened green tea
- 2 ounces 100% agave tequila blanco
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey simple syrup (1 teaspoon honey melted with 1 teaspoon water)
- 1/4 teaspoon matcha powder
- 2 slices jalapeño
Which fancy margarita will you add to your rotation this summer? Speaking of margaritas, there’s an margarita event happening on May 25th where you can try out different margaritas from local Atlanta restaurants and vote for your favorite one. Margarita Wars anyone? If you’re a margarita lover like myself, I wouldn’t miss out! Cheers!