As the weather becomes a bit cooler and we begin to wear our favorite layers, our taste palettes tend to change a bit too. We tend to gravitate toward heavier and heartier flavors, not only with foods, but with our drinks and cocktails alike. We have picked out 3 of our favorite winter inspired cocktails that you can enjoy as you cuddle up near the fireplace or entertain your friends and family.
Toasted Almond Coffee (Instyle Magazine – Camille Styles)
Why not blend some of our traditional favorite flavors into a decadent after dinner cocktail? Lifestyle blogger, Camille Styles, came up with a Toasted Almond Coffee drink that is sure to have you wanting more. Adding heavy cream to this spiked coffee makes it as “decadent as a cup of hot cocoa,” Styles says.
1 shot plus 1 tsp amaretto liqueur
1 tsp agave syrup
½ cup heavy whipping cream
½ tsp confectioners’ sugar
6 oz. hot brewed coffee
1 cinnamon stick
1. In a heatproof mug, combine 1 shot of amaretto and the agave syrup. Stir to dissolve.
2. In a chilled bowl, beat the cream on high until soft peaks form.
3. Add 1 tsp amaretto and the confectioners’ sugar and beat just to combine.
4. Pour the coffee into the amaretto and agave mixture and stir.
5. Top with the whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
6. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Candy Cane Cocktail (marthastewart.com)
Blending our favorite seasonal flavor, peppermint into an adult cocktail makes for a flavorful and fun drink.
candy cane, crushed, for garnish
2 ounces strawberry vodka
4 dashes white creme de menthe
2 1/2 ounces cranberry juice
1. Place crushed candy canes on a small plate or saucer. Wet the outside rim of a chilled martini glass with water. Holding the glass by the stem, rotate the rim to coat with candy.
2. In a cocktail shaker, combine vodka, creme de menthe, cranberry juice, and ice; shake until well combined. Strain into prepared glass; serve immediately.
Classic Egg Nog (marthastewart.com)
This classic egg nog spices up a bit with some added spirits and cheer. Egg nog screams the holidays, so what perfect way to incorporate it into your favorite cocktail flavors to bring in the holiday cheer?
2 quarts whole milk
2 2/3 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
16 large egg yolks
2 cups cold heavy cream
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup dark rum
Freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling
1.Heat milk, sugar, and vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking until sugar has dissolved. Whisk yolks in a large bowl. Pour hot milk mixture into yolks in a slow, steady stream, whisking.
2. Return milk-yolk mixture to pan, and cook over medium-low heat, whisking often, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes (do not let simmer). Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard bean. Whisk in cream, bourbon, and rum. Let cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour (up to 1 day). Serve sprinkled with nutmeg.