Pumpkins aren’t just for carving darling!
Pumpkins are the perfect touch for fall décor but did you know that they are packed with vitamin A and vitamin C? The seasonal treat is low in calories and high in flavor. Pumpkins are a great source of fiber and aids in weight loss. The potassium in pumpkins makes for the perfect post workout snack. Picking a pumpkin based snack supports recovery and keeps your muscles functioning properly. The best pumpkin perk is that they keep you pretty! The carotenoids in pumpkins keep the skin wrinkle-free. There are many different ways to incorporate pumpkins into your meals and the health benefits make it totally worth a try. Put down the carving tools and pick up your fork. Don’t let the season pass you by!
- 1 ice cream scoop of organic pumpkin puree (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 2 small- to medium-sized organic bananas (approx 3/4 cup mashed)
- 1 handful of organic spinach (optional)
- 1 to 2 dates (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla or plain almond milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 to 2 handfuls of ice
Place pumpkin, bananas, spinach, date(s), unsweetened almond milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a blender.
Blend on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
Add ice and finish blending.
- 1/4 cup sucanat or whole cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup unsalted whole almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsalted pecan halves
- 1 cup roasted salted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 tablespoons all-natural apple juice
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 250°F. Mix sucanat, cinnamon, paprika, and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl. Set aside.
Place almonds, oats, pecans, pepitas, and walnuts in a large bowl. Mix together pumpkin purée and apple juice; pour over nut mixture and toss until nuts are evenly coated. Sprinkle with spice mixture, tossing to coat well. Spread evenly on two baking pans.
Bake 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time. Cool completely. Stir in cranberries and raisins. Store in airtight container.